Sunday, August 31, 2008

Radiohead


Diana and I went to the Radiohead concert on August 27th at the Cricket Ampitheatre with our friends the Sommers. For those of you who don't know who Radiohead is, they are a 5-member band from Oxfordshire England. They got popular in the mid-90s, and are arguably the most popular band today. Here's a Wikipedia article and the Official Radiohead Website. Their latest album, In Rainbows, was released via download only, and they had the revolutionary idea of letting people pay whatever they want online. They still made millions on the album, even though I am sure many people didn't pay anything. In March during the College Basktball tournament, a local San Diego radio station set up a radio music tournament of 64 of the greatest bands in the last 40 years, including the Rolling Stones, U2, and Led Zeppelin. The songs from each competing band were played against each other, and listeners voted online as to who the champion was. Radiohead won the #2 spot as the greatest band of the last 4 decades.

There was a lot of traffic getting into the concert. I thought the Cricket Ampitheatre could only hold 20,000, but it seemed like at least 100,000 people were there. Most of the crowd was Gen-Y and younger than us. We were on the grass toward the back. The stage was set up with a lot of long halogen lights that flashed different colors with the music. They mostly played from their new Album, such as this song, titled "Recokner"

It was a great concert although it was crowded and we decided to leave early to avoid the parking lot traffic jam that ensued afterward (our friends did not get home until 2 a.m.). For those of you that are Radiohead fans, here are the songs they played:

1. 15 Step 2. Airbag 3. There There 4. All I Need 5. Nude 6. Talk Show Host 7. Where I End and You Begin 8. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi 9. The Gloaming 10. Faust Arp 11. How To Disappear Completely 12. Reckoner 13. Optimistic 14. Jigsaw Falling Into Place 15. Pyramid Song 16. Climbing Up The Walls 17. Bodysnatchers 18. House of Cards 19. You And Whose Army? 20. Just 21. Paranoid Android 22. Street Spirit (fade out) 23. Videotape 24. Lucky 25. Everything In Its Right Place

1 comment:

leah said...

So fun! I wish I could've gone to that! So, is there new album still downloadable?