
This Halloween we did a few things differently. We passed on the annual trip to Bates Nut Farm and decided to try a new venue called Oma's Pumpkin Patch in Lakeside in the valley below El Cajon Mountain. We were pleasantly surprised. Oma's had a small entry fee for kids only, then everything else was free, including a small pumpkin of their choice, tractor ride, cottonseed slide, giant dirt hill complete with hundreds of toy dump trucks, swings, hay maze, petting zoo, you name it. The people there were also very nice, and even gave Audrey an extra free pumpkin. I think Oma's is going to be a tradition going forward.
For whatever reason, we never got around to shopping for a bigger pumpkin to carve until October 30th. By that time, all the grocery stores were out of pumpkins. After trying two other places, we went to Ralph's, where the produce guy told me they were out of pumpkins also. I noticed on the floor they had a few of those huge pumpkins. Though I've always wanted to buy and carve one of those, I wasn't ready for this to be the year, but we didn't have many other options. "How much are those," I asked, to which he replied "$34.99." I gulped. Well, at least it wasn't the $50 I was expecting (what the charge at Bates). What the heck, Halloween only comes once a year. When Audrey picked out the pumpkin I could barely lift it. Those things are heavier than they look, and this one had to be at least 50 lbs. When the guy rang it up it came to $8.99, and he looked surprised a pumpkin that big was so cheap, but he confirmed it with a co worker, so we were out the door with the pumpkin deal of a lifetime.
I've been into challenging pumpkin carving patterns for a few years now; I just can't go back to the triangle face. So this year it was Abraham Lincoln. Took about 6 hours. I was up until midnight one night, then left work early on Halloween day to finish. If only I could be that dedicated to my job. 

Audrey and I started reading the Wizard of Oz book this past summer. Since then she has watched the movie 100 times, and was set on being Dorothy. Diana shopped the pattern and materials and made this wonderful dress, which Audrey uses for much more than trick or treating. We also got a great deal on the Cowardly Lion Costume for Caden. I believe it was Ebay or Craiglist. We should be able to sell it next year for about as much as we bought it for.




No comments:
Post a Comment